Launched on March 25th, GPS IIF-9 has been declared healthy and operational by the U.S. Air Force as of April 21st, 2015. It was the ninth of twelve Block IIF satellites to be launched. Characteristics of the new GPS IIF-9 satellite includes:
Broadcasting L5 “safety of life” navigation signal
- Broadcasting a new M-code signal
- Doubling in the predicted accuracy
- Better resistance to jamming
- Reprogrammable processors that can receive software uploads
- The first GPS satellites to not have Selective Availability hardware installed
The next GPS satellite, GPS IIF-10, is scheduled to launch on June 16, with GPS IIF-11 following in September.